The Swaminarayan Temple was built in 1822, and is the first temple of the Swaminarayan sect to have been built. The land
was given by the British government to do so, and Lord Swaminarayan himself entrusted the responsibility for the construction
of the temple to Ananandanand Swami.
The temple is carved in Burmese teak, and every arch and bracket is painted with bright
colors, a defining characteristic of Swaminarayan temples everywhere. There are several idols installed by Swaminarayan
himself, as well as a display of some of his personal items and sculptures. In the adjoining haveli, there are quarters
for pilgrims of the sect, a special section for women, and an area where ceremonies and teaching sessions are held for women
Located near Kalupur in the eastern part of the old city, the Swaminarayan Temple is a splash of color in the midst
of the city’s grey and is also the starting point for the Heritage Walk through the pols of the old city.